Monday, March 27, 2017

1 Timothy 4:8

1 Timothy 4:8
“For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.”

Honestly this verse is just so practical, its amazing and a bit ridiculous. So last night 3 of the guys were working out and yeah, that effort is going to profit them. Their bodies will be stronger and healthier because of the work put in to build up muscle and the endorphins that kicked in made their moods temporarily go up. The effects of working out are ones that you generally want. But, when they’re old men sitting in their rocking chairs on the front porch, is the exercise they do now going to serve them? Probably not. As much as they hate to admit it, by that time their bodies will be weaker and not able to do what they do now. But what I do know is that these guys aren’t just seeking to build up their physical bodies. They are seeking the Lord and storing their treasures up in heaven before they ever think of working out. So, while the physical exercise is good… the godly character they are building is the more profitable thing. Those 75 year old men will still be able to draw from the spiritual lessons they’re learning right now. So what does this mean for my life? I don’t really like working out so its not like there’s some huge danger of that becoming an idol in my life. But, there are plenty of other things that I love doing that require time and energy to be good at. For example, I love painting. But if I don’t do it regularly my ability to do it well goes down. I have a choice to make. Take the time I have to pour into painting or take that time to draw closer to the Lord. Again, I am not saying that having hobbies is sinful. But motives behind these things can be. So if you work out, do it in a way that honors the Lord. When I paint, it needs to be to honor the Lord. Because, if these things are done for the sake of me… they’re pretty much useless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment