Friday, March 17, 2017

Philippians 3:8

Philippians 3:8
“Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ…”

Giving things up for the sake of knowing Jesus is something everyone in Ignite has been learning how to do. We all left our normal lives to live a radical one for a year(but the idea is that this radical life will never end). A prime example of giving something up is giving up ownership of our personalities. I realized today how much we’ve all changed since we first got here and how much more we’re going to change during our 6 months of field time. For me personally, I was so sure that who I was is who I would be for the rest of my life. I acted like God isn’t big enough to change me and mold me into His image. “Me” became what was normal. But now I have no clue what normal is for me. I don’t know what personality traits make up “me” anymore. I used to know, but God has completely stripped me of all of it. When I surrendered my life to God’s plan, part of that was giving up my right to define myself. I am not what I think I am or what I define myself as. I am a child of the God who made the heavens and the earth. I am chosen and accepted only by the power of His blood. He knew me and set me apart before I was even born in order to love and serve Him. In light of what he has declared me to be, how dare I try to decide that I’m something else? To live as anything other than what He has made me to be is the biggest tragedy I could ever cause. Nothing else would leave me as lost and purposeless. So yeah, Jesus gets to define me. Not me. Because I just mess it all up.

No comments:

Post a Comment