Friday, February 10, 2017

Psalm 17:15

Psalm 17:15
“As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness.”

What does my soul long for? Really, what does it long for? What satisfies me and leaves me feeling full? What is it that doesn’t make me feel empty? As I look back over the bits of my life that I can remember I have realized how real the “God-shaped hole” in each of us is. By nature we try to fill it with things, people, experiences, you name it. History is the story of mankind trying to fill that hole and failing more times than not. When nations invade a land to conquer it and claim it as their own, it is to fill some kind of hole. Whether that hole is lack of security, greed, or a hatred that can’t be quenched, there is a void that needs to be filled. Men marry multiple wives to fill the hole that pride leaves or to try to find an earthly love that satisfies. More recently, polygamy stems from the desire to be seen as righteous in the eyes of God; multiple wives mean more rewards in heaven. Acts of terror are committed because of the same hole left by unrighteousness. All the religions in the world cannot seem to fill that God-shaped hole in each of our hearts no matter how hard they try. Religion always leaves people more empty and lost than before and yet we keep trying religion as the cure. Even as Christians we look to religion to satisfy. If you just go to the right church or tithe the right amount or sing the right song, you’ll be satisfied. Before I really started walking with the Lord, I looked to distractions to satisfy. I would distract myself with reading, homework, TV, etc. But those things are never enough because they end. The book has a final page in which the story is wrapped up, you graduate, or the show stops being produced. Things that have beginnings and endings are never enough to fill that hole. Only my relationship with Jesus has proven to be something that satisfies because it has no ending. Yes, it had a definite beginning but because of the eternal nature of God it will have no end. Not to steal Hannah’s thunder, but there is a song by Bethel that says “I’m full but I’m not satisfied, this longing to have more of You.” I am so thankful that my God satisfies in a way that leaves you full but longing for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment