Friday, February 3, 2017

Revelation 1:9

Revelation 1:9
“I, John, both your brother and companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.”

I don’t know about you, but I need fellowship in order for my walk to be strong. As soon as I start to isolate myself I fall into sins that previously had no hold on me. The devil knows that when I am alone I am weak and vulnerable, but together with my brothers and sisters in Christ I can stand with them against his lies. If he can keep us distant from the body of Christ, he can keep us distant from the Lord. On the flip side of that, if he can keep us focused on the people around us in an unhealthy way he can get us to a place where we feel okay but end up becoming stagnant and eventually backsliding in our walk. The devil will attempt to convince us that we are the only one struggling, that no one else would understand where we are coming from. I came to Ignite in this mentality and yet again and again when I open up about something, someone else understands exactly what I’m going through. It is so encouraging to know that the other girls here can empathize with me but even more encouraging is knowing that Jesus Himself understands. Hebrews 4:15 says, “For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.” Part of the beauty of having a human high priest was his ability to sympathize with the spiritual needs of the people he was serving. This ability to put himself in their shoes would make it possible for him to be compassionate. Jesus, then, is the perfect High Priest; He knows exactly what we are going through and yet He never gave in to temptation. So when He says that there is always a way out of temptation, a way to flee from sin, He is speaking from experience and not asking us to blindly trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment